Day 11 - Sometimes I Take Pictures

Monday, January 11, 2016 2 Comments A+ a-

There is no doubt--I am a birder before a photographer.  That's not to say I don't love photography.  It's absolutely fascinating.  I take some good shots from time to time--and I take a lot of really bad photos.  One thing during a Big Year that can help with the monotony is taking lots of pictures.  Or after you've pretty much seen the stuff you know you're going to see; try to get an interesting picture of it.  Today I had a plan but it got derailed.  Thinks inevitably will come up time and time again, and force a change of plans.So I improvised and got to take some pictures.

Today's journey was supposed to be a 20 mile round trip outing for just 1 bird.  Instead I took an 8 mile side trip this evening as the sun started dropping in the west.  I had 2 targets with my new route, and both were like shooting fish in a barrel.  I didn't even have to get out of my car at the lake I visited to spot my some how first of year (FOY) Stocky Curler (and there were a fair number of them); as well as my first Ginger of the year.  This one is tougher to get this time of year, but I had seen them here before in the winter and thought I might have a shot.  The female bird was alone so it was a little more work to pick her out of the crowd.

With my targets acquired I turned to photography.  The lighting was divine... The subjects however were lackluster.  I took a really cool shot of a helicopter that I was going to share today, but then I thought that for the hardcore detectives out there it might be a giveaway and help narrow down my location.  So no helicopter...


Instead I leave you with this American Coot.  No shortage of these birds will be seen in 2016, but getting one in full stride sure makes for a neat photo!  Sometimes I take pictures, and someday I'll share more!  For now you get the vanilla stuff!

New birds today: 2
Year List: 76

FOLLOW ALONG:

Next Day

Previous Day

I'm on a mission to see as many birds as I can in 2016... within the borders of my home state. The only catch is I'm not telling anyone that I'm doing a Big Year...

2 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
January 12, 2016 at 4:44 PM delete

Lovely image of a coot. -Carol

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
January 19, 2016 at 10:18 PM delete

Will you reveal 'Ginger'? I believe that it is a Redhead, as red-headed people are called gingers. The fact that it was at a lake supports this. Stocky Curler may be Canvasback, as they are often seen with Redhead, but the odd name, and you saying that it was surprising that they were your FOY makes that seem unlikely.

Reply
avatar