Day 13 - The Triathlete

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2 Comments A+ a-

 
No, I did not swim, bike, and run today.  The triathlete I speak of is not a person, and isn't in a race.  It's a bird, and today's goal was to track one down for the year.  This species is fairly common year round here in Narnia (I've decided to start referring to my state this way from now on), as long as you are in the right habitat, and know what to look for.  Easily overlooked and often an afterthought for birders the Triathlete is a stunning bird and one I should be able to pickup with little effort on my part.

I easily could have waited till later in the year when I would visit their habitat often; but a short drive during a mid-day break could also provide my bounty and help me try to get through this week without a ZERO day.I made two or three stops once I arrived at Willy Wonka Country Club (a magical golf club).  I finally left my vehicle and took a short walk where I spotted a Triathlete perched on a rock in the middle of a river.  It saw me and immediately took flight--1/3 of its repertoire of triathlete moves.  Success!

Named due to its aptitude in the water, air, and on land, the Triathlete is a favorite of mine, and one I'll encounter plenty of as the year goes on.

It was the only target I had.  Other things might have popped up here, but not today.  Instead I took some time to admire a group of game animals I don't see all that often.  In fact the last time I saw one might have been 15 years ago, so it was fortuitous that I came to this location today.  I took some shots, which again will have to wait till 2017 to be revealed.  Such is the way of the secret big year.
New birds today: 1
Year List: 85

FOLLOW ALONG:

Next Day

Previous Day

I'm on a mission to see as many birds as I can in 2016... within the borders of my home state. The only catch is I'm not telling anyone that I'm doing a Big Year...

2 comments

Write comments
Gretchen
AUTHOR
January 22, 2016 at 8:57 AM delete

Are you answering guesses about birds? I'm going to guess this one is a Dipper.

Reply
avatar
January 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM delete

It might be. It might also be some species of shorebird--one that does particularly well in all 3 environs. The Triathlete will go by no other name than the Triathlete until the big year comes to an end. Some identities are best left in the dark :)

Reply
avatar